Australian Mom Finds Live Snake In Sack Of Potatoes

Advertisement

Marissa Davidson via 7NEWS Sydney / Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

One Australian woman got the shock of a lifetime when she opened a sack of potatoes and discovered a snake was inside. To make matters all the more terrifying, the snake was alive!

Marissa Davidson bought a 4 KG (8.8 LB) bag of potatoes from a Woolworths grocery store in Coffs Harbour on Friday, March 6. Once she got home, she reached in the sack to pull out a few potatoes, and that’s when she found the snake.

Advertisement

I opened it and I grabbed two potatoes out, and I was like,Oh no, I’ll do three’ and turned around to get the other one and it jumped out,” she told nine.com.au.

Marissa immediately feared for the safety of her five-year-old son, Chase, as the snake started moving toward him. The situation would have been terrifying enough for any parent, but Marissa had added fear knowing that Chase has a congenital heart defect.

Coffs Harbour mum finds snake in bag of potatoes she'd just bought

A Coffs Harbour mother has had the fright of her life, opening a bag of potatoes she'd just bought only to watch a snake jump out. Even more worrying, it slithered straight towards her son who has a heart defect. www.7NEWS.com.au#CoffsHarbour #7NEWS

Posted by 7NEWS Sydney on Thursday, March 12, 2020

He has got hypoplastic left heart syndrome, which is half a heart, and it could have made him very sick,” Marissa said about the snake.

Not knowing what else to do, and wanting to protect her son, Marissa grabbed a laundry basket and started smashing the snake with it. “I ran and got the laundry basket and smashed it on top of it, it was attacking the laundry basket, viciously attacking it,” she said.

The snake eventually died.

Marissa contacted Woolworths about discovering the snake in the potatoes she bought at one of their stores. As of press time, the company has not offered her a refund, and has asked her to provide photos of the snake, which she did.

They have asked for some other photos. I have still got the snake,” she said. “I ended up freezing it and I said if you want the snake I can post it to you because they are wanting more evidence to identify it.

Snake catcher Stuart McKenzie from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 has weighed in on Marissa’s discovering, telling nine.com.au he believes she encountered a marsh snake.

Marsh snakes are indeed venomous, so Marissa was right to be concerned. However, Stuart advises anyone else in her situation to call a professional to wrangle a snake, rather than attempt to do so themselves.

Oddly enough, this isn’t the first time someone has found a snake inside a sack of potatoes they bought from the store. And it doesn’t just happen in Australia!

In 2013, a Pittsburgh woman found a nearly four-foot-long snake in a bag of potatoes she purchased at Wal-Mart. You can learn more about that past incident in the video below.

Now you’ll definitely think twice the next time you reach into a sack of potatoes!

×

Like Us on Facebook!